Life Celebrations

Kerry Ann Lucas


The very first thing you need to do is to choose the right Celebrant to suit your needs and style. Contact several Celebrants and talk to them to get a "feel" of the right one for you both. This is an exciting time in your lives and the right Celebrant can make your journey into Marriage a wonderful and relaxed event. The first meeting should be informative and enjoyable. If you have the following with you, then you can take the next step and sign the NOIM. (Notice of Intended Marriage)
  • Original Marriage or Deed Poll - original Certificates.
  • Original Change Of Name Certificate.
  • Never previously been married- no proof needed.
  • Divorced - Original Divorce Papers eg Divorce Decree / Absolute How do I prove I am divorced?
  • Widowed - Original Death Certificate.
  • Must Be over 18 years of age. (both parties). There are exceptions to this rule, but it must be approved by a Judge or Court Order. If unable to prove your age then a Statutory Declaration must be filled in to explain.
  • If you were born overseas, then the requirements are,Original Birth Certificate/Valid non-Australian Passport, Certificate of Divorce - (if appropriate), Certificate of Death (if appropriate). If these cannot be obtained then you need a Statutory Declaration to explain. If not in English then an official translation is needed.
  • Once we have the information, we can then proceed to the first legal requirement of signing the Notice Of Intended Marriage (NOIM).  NOIM has a requirement  of not less than one calendar month and no longer than 18 months). NOIM is supplied by your celebrant.
  • Two witnesses which must be over 18 years of age.
YES, within the Legalities of the LAW. The Marriage Act has changed to allow all people over the age of 18 to be Married.

Some couples may require a special letter produced by the Celebrant in order to assist with a Proposed Marriage Visa application. I am able to do this for you and will also provide a certified copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage which can then be given to the Embassy. For more information on a Prospective Marriage Visa visit the Department of Immigration

On the wedding day, you will be required to sign three certificates immediately after the marriage has been solemnized.

  • Official Marriage Certificate (copy to be sent to BDM).
  • Official Marriage Certificate (copy to be sent held in Celebrant records).
  • Certificate of Marriage - (Decorative Official Document to be kept by the couple).
  • All signatures must be in your original name (eg. same as drivers licence) and then change of name can follow.
  • Celebrant can offer to apply for your OFFICIAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE at the BDM on your behalf at time of Marriage Registration - (there is a BDM fee for this and your Celebrant will pass this on to you).
Copyright © 2020 – 2024 All Rights Reserved

Website by Vast Creative